• Employer Sponsored Workers

Subclass 457 – Business (Long Stay) visa – Standard Business Sponsorship

For people with recognised skills seeking to work in Australia after being sponsored by an Australian or overseas employer. A program for employers to sponsor approved skilled workers to work in Australia on a temporary visa. Employers can nominate a number of positions for different occupations under the same sponsorship application.

  • Professionals and Skilled Migrants

There is a range of visa options under the General Skilled Migration program for skilled workers who want to live in Australia and who do not have an employer sponsoring them. These include options for skilled people applying as an independent migrant as well as those sponsored by a relative, or nominated by a State or Territory government.


Independent migrants have the least number of restrictions placed on them and this is the preferred option for eligible applicants who do not have an employer to sponsor them. Assess your eligibility for the independent visas before you continue.


If you are sponsored by an eligible relative, please note that there are a number of obligations that must be met by your sponsor.

Click here for more: Professionals and Other Skilled Migrants

  • Business People

For business people to visit Australia for business purposes, for example, to attend a conference or training session, to conduct business with an Australia-based organisation, to conduct business negotiations or for an exploratory business visit.

Click here for more: Business People

  • Specialist Entry Visa

A range of visas for people to participate in specific professional, cultural or social activities in Australia.

Distinguished Talent visa (Offshore) (subclass 124)

A permanent visa for people outside Australia, nominated for migration on the basis of their internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in a profession, the arts, sport, research or academia.

Distinguished Talent visa (Onshore) (subclass 858)

A permanent visa for people in Australia, nominated for migration on the basis of their internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in a profession, the arts, sport, research or academia.

Domestic Worker (Diplomatic/Consular) Visa (Subclass 426)

A temporary visa for a domestic worker to be employed in the household of a diplomatic visa holder in Australia.

Domestic Worker (Executive) Visa (Subclass 427)

A temporary visa for a domestic worker to be employed in the household of certain senior executives in charge of an Australian office of an overseas organisation.

Exchange Visa (Subclass 411)

For skilled people to broaden their work experience and skills. Reciprocal arrangements allow Australian residents similar opportunities overseas.

Entertainment Visa (Subclass 420)

For people to work in the Australian entertainment industry; in film, television or live productions in either a performance or behind-the scenes role, such as directors, producers and other production personnel.

Foreign Government Agency Visa (Subclass 415)

For the entry of staff and other representatives of foreign governments and foreign government agencies who do not have official status in Australia.

Government Agreement Visa (Subclass 406)

For people seeking to enter Australia under a bilateral agreement between Australia and another country.

Media and Film Staff Visa (Subclass 423)

For television or film crew, including actors, production and support staff and still-photographers. Applicants must be involved in the production of documentary programs, or commercials, exclusively for use outside Australia.

Religious Worker Visa (Subclass 428)

For religious workers to directly service religious objectives of an Australian organisation. Applicants must be sponsored by a religious organisation in Australia.

Special Program Visa (Subclass 416)

For people who have been invited to participate in an approved special program such as a community benefit, cultural enrichment or youth exchange program and for people who will be participating in the Pacific Seasonal Worker Pilot Scheme.

Sport Visa (Subclass 421)

A temporary visa for professional sports people. Applicants to engage in competition and training with Australian residents to improve the quality of sport in Australia.

Visiting Academic Visa (Subclass 419)

For invited academics to visit Australia to observe or participate in research projects, without remuneration other than a contribution towards living expenses and travel costs.

Click here for more: Specialist Entry

  • Doctors and Nurses

There is currently a shortage of doctors and nurses in Australia, particularly in regional areas.

General practitioners or specialists can apply for a visa to work in Australia if they have obtained their primary medical qualification in a country other than Australia or gained their medical qualifications in Australia and are not an Australian permanent resident.

Nurses are currently in high demand in Australia with opportunities for permanent and temporary work available.

Working in Australia as a Doctor

Doctors can apply for either a temporary or permanent visa. For immigration purposes, doctors seeking permanent residency in Australia must hold full medical registration.

Working in Australia as a Nurse

Whether you have a high level of skills and experience or need to gain additional skills, there is a visa to suit you. There are excellent career opportunities with permanent and temporary work available in Australia. You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for a visa to work as a nurse.

Click here for more: Doctors and Nurses

  • Regional Employment

The Australian Government is working closely with state, territory and local governments, and regional authorities to provide regional migration programmes that support regional development and help supply the skill needs of regional employers. These programmes are designed to address the special circumstances of rural and regional Australia.

They are employer-friendly, flexible and include concessions for regional employers. The programmes aim to attract young, skilled, English speaking migrants to areas of Australia where they are most needed. Generally, skilled migrants are under 45 years of age, have functional English, diploma level qualifications or above and relevant work experience.

  • Air and Sea Crew

Visas and entry requirements for all air crew members.

Maritime Crew Visa

A new visa to replace the Special Purpose Visa from 1 July 2007.

Superyacht Crew Visa

Information for Superyacht crew members.

Click here for more: Air and Sea Crew

  • Pacific Seasonal Worker

This scheme is part of the department's Special Program and requires Approved Employers to invite people from the eligible Pacific countries to participate as Pacific seasonal workers. The coutries include Kiribati, Papua New Guinea, Tonga and Vanuatu seeking to work in Australia under the Pacific Seasonal Worker Pilot Scheme (PSWPS).

Click here for more: Pacific Seasonal Worker Scheme

Student Visa Options

Information on student visas and how to apply.

Student Guardians

Parents or relatives can apply for a visa to stay in Australia as the guardian of a student who is studying in Australia.

More Information for Students

Information on bringing family, working while studying, visa conditions, extending your stay, changing course or education provider, document checklists and special visa arrangements if an education provider's approval to deliver your course is removed.

Student Visa Assessment Levels

Find out about Student visa Assessment Levels.

Sponsored Training Visas

For people who want to come to Australia through a professional development program or to undertake workplace based training.

Student Visa Enquiries

Information on how to contact us and how to obtain information on the progress of your application.

Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO)

The department has an online facility that enables visa holders to enquire about their immigration status. This facility is also available for registered Australian Organisations.

Information for Education Providers

Australian schools, colleges and universities can find information about their obligations to international students when offering them a place in a course.

Source: Department of Immigration and Citizenship-Australia

Visa Options

For people visiting Australia for holidays, tourism, recreation or to see family and friends. If you are an Australian Citizen or have obtained Australian Citizenship by descent, you are not able to apply for, or be granted an Australian visa.

ETA (Visitor) (Subclass 976)

An electronically stored authority for short-term visits to Australia of up to 3 months. Available to passport holders from a number of countries and regions, who are outside Australia.

eVisitors (Subclass 651)

An electronically stored authority for visits to Australia for tourism or business purposes for up to three months. Available to passport holders from the European Union and a number of other European countries, who are outside Australia.

Tourist visa (Subclass 676)

A temporary visa allowing a stay in Australia of up to three or six or 12 months. Applicants can apply from both outside and in Australia. Some tourists are eligible to lodge an online application for an e676 Tourist visa.

Sponsored Family Visitor visa (Subclass 679)

For people seeking to visit family in Australia for a stay period of up to 12 months. Formal sponsorship by an Australian citizen or permanent resident is required.

Source: Department of Immigration and Citizenship-Australia